Most of us are familiar with the way coffee can be used in baking to enhance our favorite sweets, like a rich slice of chocolate cake, a creamy crème brûlée, or homemade ice cream, but did you know coffee tastes great in savory cooking as well? Read on to find out how to combine your favorite coffee with your favorite football snack for the Big Game this weekend.
Coffee is a fantastic addition to your dry rubs for steak, brisket, ribs, and even burgers. For today’s recipe, in honor of the Big Game, we’re using chicken wings! This sweet and spicy rub mix has extra depth and complexity from the addition of our Organic Espresso, and it’s a guaranteed touchdown!
- 1 tablespoon finely ground coffee
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme (optional)
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 lbs. chicken wings
1. In a small bowl, mix the ground coffee, paprika, brown sugar, salt, cayenne, oregano, thyme and wine vinegar until you get a dark and aromatic paste.
2. Pour over the chicken wings and rub well with your hands until they’re completely coated in the mix. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least one hour but for a maximum of two hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
4. Put the wings in only one layer and bake for 30 minutes. Turn them around and continue baking for another 15 minutes.
5. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Give it a try and let us know what you think in the comments below! What team are you rooting for? ?
To check out more recipe content featuring your favorite blends, head here.