As you follow along with updates about our 2020 Coffee Kids farmer Beatriz, we’d like you to get to know her a bit better. We’ve compiled ten quick-fire questions asked of Beatriz when she sat down with Coffee Kids to give us an update. Enjoy!
- What is your full name? Ana Beatriz Mendoza Mérida
- How old are you? 24 years old
- Where do you live? San Antonio Huista in Huehuetenango, Guatemala
- What is your connection to coffee? My mother is a member of a local farmer organization called ADIESTO and my entire family has coffee farms!
- Do you grow other crops besides coffee? Yes! I grow corn and ayote, a type of squash
- What is your level of education? I have an Environmental Engineering degree
- Have you ever thought about leaving your rural home? Mostly I’ve thought about living in a bigger city, but having a job linked to the countryside where I currently live.
- What do you view as the biggest differences between city and rural life? It’s very different! The city is more stressful. The physical work is greater here, but it’s more relaxing, happy and rewarding.
- What types of topics have you learned about through Coffee Kids? Business development, record-keeping during coffee production, marketing and tracking climate statistics.
- What are your future dreams for your family? I hope to be a part of a self-sustaining, entrepreneurial organization that provides for my family.
Look for more Beatriz updates soon as we follow along with her inspiring journey through Coffee Kids.
Want a look back at past posts about Beatriz? Click the links below:
COFFEE KIDS PARTNERSHIP: MEET BEATRIZ
COFFEE KIDS PARTNERSHIP: AN UPDATE FROM BEATRIZ
COFFEE KIDS UPDATE- WHAT’S NEW WITH BEATRIZ?